Thursday, June 30, 2011

Critique

By Caitlin Bletscher

BEFORE ARRIVAL to Cagli, I was bombarded with reassuring language comments, to where I felt comfortable coming to Italy with my fluent Spanish, recognizing that “I will pick it right up!”

The past several days, however, have not agreed. Throughout the day, I find myself mixing Italian with Spanish and Spanish with Italian. I try desperately to differentiate the two throughout language class, hoping for a sticking, mindful distinction. Unfortunately, no such thing has occurred.

The most effective assistance has been a slight correction from varying locals throughout Cagli.

Gracias!” “No, no, bella! … grazie

Little by little, I am humbly critiqued in my use of the Italian language. Little by little, I learn to adore the language. Little by little, I progress.

Learning a new language means recognizing your need for help and taking a risk to fumble and seek correction. The most gracious, beautiful people of Cagli – I could not thank them enough for their continuous correction and willingness to accept my slobbery communication.

Dr. Caputo has said on numerous occasions, “Learn a new language, gain a new soul.”

I now understand this phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment