Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Corpus Christi from Another Perspective

by Annagrisel Álvarez
CORPUS CHRISTI IS A common tradition in South America. Especially in Ecuador, my country, where processions and mass reunions take place this time of the year. Obviously devotion characterizes these kind of religious celebrations. In the 22 years I have lived in Ecuador, I can say I never went to a Corpus Christi procession, even though I consider myself pretty religious. Processions are usually for people involved with the church activities, but not necessarily for all parishioners.

Cagli was celebrating its second procession of 2011. This time it was going to pass by the street where I happen to be living in. Neighbors, friends, everybody, get together for the event. Every detail is thoroughly taken care of, each square meter is filled with graphics, flowers and farina. Green leaves decorate the sides of the street, being this, the result of the conjunction of committed hands and meticulous minds.

Gina is my person and my neighbor. To make a very long story short, after taking several pictures, she came to me and told me that instead of wasting my time taking pictures of her I should enjoy the feast, which started long time ago. I know I must have looked confused, so she explained that the feast starts once they start putting it together. When they start gathering the flowers and all the tools they need to make it happen.

The situation seemed pretty simple. First, stop taking pictures. Second, help, as she handed me a bag full of flowers. I consider that my understanding of Italian is decent so I started pouring the flowers all over the street. Minutes later I had Gina looking not very happy, telling me that I was supposed to put the flour first. Of course, the misunderstanding occurred because of the language barrier. Even though, I think that the cultural shock I felt at first was totally resolved once I became part of the whole organizing process. After being there, I felt part of the community, the people in my street were so welcoming and kind that I felt the total concept of being actually immersed in the culture.

It was not only the first time I celebrated Corpus Christi in a different way, but it was the first time I was in Italy surrounded by the procession, the Cagliese and the feeling of being part of such an unique and special tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment