Saturday, July 2, 2011

Clothes Please

By Jennifer Wilkes

THE IDEA OF TRAVELING to another country engaged me. I was excited to create experiences that were contrary to those I was accustomed to. I had heard stories, seen things on television, and received lots of advice about traveling abroad. I didn’t really know what to expect. All I knew was that I craved to learn more than what living in the United States was teaching me. I wanted to become an international citizen.

Intercultural learning presents various situations that allow us to test who we are as people and how effectively we can engage in intercultural interactions. Oftentimes there is cultural dissonance that forces us to make choices, sometimes against our own cultural practices. I believe that the first occurrence can set the tone for how we may act on those that will follow. However, every instance is usually different in nature. Each time we learn more and more about what is appropriate within another culture. Therefore, cultural dissonance is probably the most effective way to become intercultural because you learn through first-hand experience.

When I first arrived in Cagli, I was directed to the apartment where I would be staying during the program. After my landlord gave me a tour of the apartment, he informed me and the other students who were staying there that we were to give our clothes to him for washing. We were not allowed to hang any wet clothes in the apartment. All of us who stay in the apartment are females, so having a man tell us that someone else was going to wash our personal items was not our idea of a favor. In fact, we became a bit uncomfortable about handing our clothes over and giving someone else complete access to our under garments. I haven’t had my clothes washed yet. Thankfully, I brought enough for each day just in case. I’m still not exactly sure when or if I will have them washed before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment