Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Intercultural Dissonance

by Lynne Tarter
IN Césare Baldeshi’s beautiful garden, overlooking the swimming pool and vista rich with mountains and farmland, our dialogue is relaxed and varied. Arms akimbo, popping to the edge of the chair, reclining back, standing up for emphasis, Césare ensures I understand what he is saying.

Césare’s passion for his work transcends language barriers; it pours from his very being with a beaming smile and hearty chuckle. Although his English is very refined, I wonder why he chooses to speak only in Italian with me. While my etic knowledge is not deep enough to definitively answer this question, upon reflection, perhaps his values inform this decision. Césare’s values brought him back from other parts of Europe to dedicate his psychology practice to the troubled and abused youth of Cagli. These decisions help me understand the attachment he has to his birthplace, thus, perhaps choosing to speak Italian as a demonstration of his loyalty and love for his homeland.

I observe Césare carefully during our conversation, and combine both the non-verbal cues and the limited Italian I understand to comprehend a portion of the dialogue. Peppering in a few Italian words into my reply, and using my body language to further transmit my meaning, Césare maintains eye contact with me while I speak. These techniques “allow partners to transcend linguistic limitations and minimize the perception of cultural differences as problematic in intercultural relationships” (Interpersonal Communication in the Global Village, p. 292).

Applying these strategies, I ease further into acculturation through an enriching dialogue with Césare Baldeshi.

No comments:

Post a Comment