Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dissonance Issues

By Dan Paholski

MY HOTEL STAY IN FIRENZE is worth sharing. Fortunately, my arrival at the airport, taxi ride to Hotel Vittoria, and check-in all went smoothly. Upon arriving on p. 2 (or the 3rd floor for Americans), I used my key card to enter the room. All was still easy enough up to this point. Now, here appeared a series of small differences, creating a confusing first half-hour and requiring exploration of the various nuances. I was concerned because there didn’t appear to be any power. The room had more light switches than I knew what to do with, but I gave them all a flip anyway to no avail. Finally I pulled a confused maid from the hallway in for help. The key card was apparently multi-purpose and fit in the wall to conserve energy when the room was not in use. Electricity now conquered, I ventured into the bathroom…I’d heard of bidets so although unusual for me its presence did not shock. The shower decided I needed a bath as I tried to figure out the handle and misunderstood that the thin stick-like projection off to the side had holes that sent a jet of cold water over me and into the rest of the bathroom. Minor instances like these combine to create a bewildering experience.

While we know to prepare by bringing adaptors and other advice through travel books or websites, there are just some things you have to discover on your own. From such experiences I learn something about human ingenuity and how similar needs can be met in different ways. Considering environmental issues and energy conservation I think there is value in some of the conservation ideas I have seen here. I think the cultures can at times learn from each other or continue doing what works best for their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment