Saturday, July 2, 2011

Interculture Dissonance

By Kierra S. Irvin

EATING LUNCH AT Caffé d’Italia was a cultural shock. I walked into the café and ordered a chicken sandwich, a bottle of water and a hazelnut ice cream. In good ole American custom I reached for my pouch to pay because usually a counter-order requires payment first. Before I could pay, Jake was gone taking other orders and mingling. After waiting at the counter for five minutes, Jake instructed me to take a seat and he would bring my order to me. Then Jake bought my order to the table and quickly walked off again before I could pay. Finally I found myself chasing after Jake to ask for the bill.

Once I paid the bill, Jake took off again. I couldn’t leave a tip. I chased after him again trying to give him one euro. Nervous and confused I said “Gracie” and quickly left the café. And Jake, calm yet confused seemed to wonder why are you in such a hurry to pay and leave.

In America the server would have come to the table, asked if I was through, and brought the check to me right away. Here in Cagli, it seems as if the owners and servers (usually one in the same) want you to eat, drink and be merry and pay whenever you feel like paying. There’s no rush, no hurry. They seem to think, that for someone to walk out and not pay for a drink or meal, would be absurd. And they trust you will pay for the service you receive. I found it confusing at first, but relaxing after my third go-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment