Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Perception

by Caitlin Bletscher
PERCEPTION HAS THE ABILITY to open our eyes to more than just the senses. It is a powerful tool in self-discovery and evaluation.

A large part of intercultural communication competence is recognizing cultural values in our own lives, recognizing how they directly impact our perceptions (Dominant US Cultural Patterns).

After making my weekly trip to Cagli’s largest grocery store, Coal, I filled my basket with various necessities before lining up to reach the cash register. Upon arriving to the register, I wait patiently for several minutes as the proceeding man bags, then pays for his groceries. After loading my food onto the rotating belt, an Italian woman swiftly walks ahead of me, places down her two items in front of mine, and grabs for her wallet.

I found myself immediately becoming defensive, internally asking, “Doesn’t she see there is a solid line of people waiting behind her?” In the United States, courtesy, specifically in line at the grocery store, is not just encouraged, but frowned upon if not followed in suit. Because this woman did not hold these same cultural values, my perception changed to where I wasn’t recognizing nor valuing our differences, but was questioning why she did not fit into my cultural viewpoint.

The patience of waiting in line at the grocery store allowed me to contemplate this act of cultural incompetence as I remembered being told that most Italians would not, while in line, offer up their position for someone with a smaller amount of items. It isn’t because of a lack of curtsey or an obscene act, but simply a cultural faux pas in the United States that isn’t valued here in Italy.

By dissecting cultural values and recognizing differences, I was able to gain one step further towards intercultural competence.

No comments:

Post a Comment