Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Unknown Faux Pas

by Dianne Conlee
ADJUSTING TO LIFE in Cagli has been fun and filled with social mistakes. My goal has been to learn as much as possible about the reality of life in a small Italian town. I’ve eaten a lot of pizza and pasta. I enjoyed several mid-afternoon pausae. I’ve tried gelato and sampled the vino. Just recently though, I’ve learned that while trying to assimilate, I’ve made several errors:

· Jake’s name is actually Jack.

· Italians don’t eat pizza for lunch.

· You only use “Ciao” with people you know.

· Sitting on the wall in the piazza in the evening is an honor reserved for men of Cagli.

· Don’t try to pet Italian farm dogs.

· Ordering a small meal at a nice restaurant is a no-no.

· Tips are acceptable, but only in small amounts.

While I’ve made mistakes, I still feel that the locals notice that I am trying to learn their customs and have been great to help me along the way. I find that asking questions is better than guessing and most people are happy and proud to share their customs with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment